The position will work day shifts every weekend. The role becomes available the end of May/beginning of June.
PRIMARY PURPOSE AND JOB FUNCTION
The Geriatric Care Management (GCM) nurse works in a professional position and is responsible for a holistic, client-centered approach to caring for up to 40 older adult(s) in an enhanced-communal independent living environment. Working with both the resident and/or families, the GCM evaluates the needs of residents to ensure quality care and an optimal life; coordinates with the various internal departments and outside vendors to meet those needs to ensure that the medical, social, and emotional needs and the general welfare of residents is met; provides hands on care and services to the resident of the Woodlands Inn.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Provides evaluation and monitoring of acute and chronic medical conditions of residents..
2. Provides care management services to residents of the Woodlands Inn. May follow clients into other care areas of Edgewood.
3. Able to provide consultation and advice to resident/family and innkeepers regarding available internal and external community resources.
4. Notifies family members and professionals promptly of changing condition or changing needs of the resident.
5. Maintains and/or improves independence through directing, educating, and orienting residents and innkeepers in the use of appropriate adaptive equipment or techniques.
6. Provides medical management and coordination which may include attending doctor appointments, facilitating communication between doctor, client, and family, and if appropriate, monitoring client’s adherence to medical orders and instructions.
7. Assesses living environment and recommends types of services and adaptation to eliminate architectural barriers and assists the resident/family to engage and monitor these services.
8. Conducts resident clinics, education and support groups as indicated.
9. Maintains appropriate and complete reports, records, physician’s orders, care plans, and progress notes. Assures confidentiality of resident information.
10. Coordinates case management services in conjunction with the Resident Care Director and Resident Services Social Worker and other programs as necessary to ensure optimal care in the Woodlands Inn.
11. Assists in coordinating services for residents receiving case management when being admitted to and discharged from the hospital or Health Center to or from the Woodlands Inn.
12. Monitors accidents of residents by home evaluations; recommending technologies to add to security and/or safety.
13. Assists residents and families by offering support and education in dealing with the aging process and illness. Refers to mental health or social service professionals when needed.
14. Acts as a liaison between residents, families, physicians, and health care team.
15. Takes an active Quality Assurance Performance Improvement approach to identify areas to monitor and maintain for the highest quality of care. Follows through with documentation and ensures timeliness and accuracy of Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement programs and initiatives.
16. Follows up on emergency visits, ill residents and residents newly back to their apartment after a rehab or acute hospital stay.
17. Conducts psychosocial assessments and assists with ongoing assessments of residents’ social needs to promote independence and improve or maintain quality of life.
18. Provides medication management and administration as needed including ordering, overseeing and storage. Provides oversight, consultation and education to resident and staff involved in self-administration of medications.
19. May perform resident personal care activities, cooking, serving meals and snacks and life enrichment activities.
20. May perform tours of facility.
21. Is knowledgeable of and refers to resources to allow the opportunity for resident to engage in social, recreational, or cultural activities that enrich the quality of life.
22. Promotes and follows the philosophy of resident centered care.
23. Maintains complete resident confidentiality and complies with HIPAA regulations in written, oral and electronic communication.
24. Applies Hearthstone teachings and philosophy to all aspects of the position.
25. Practices and exhibits Edgewood’s Standards of Performance and Values at all times.
1. Assists in maintaining a safe environment for staff and residents.
2. Makes written/oral recommendations to the Resident Care Director regarding operations at Edgewood to enhance the quality of care provided.
3. Helps to ensure the self-respect, personal dignity, and physical safety of each resident.
4. Regularly meets with family members to give an update on resident’s progress.
5. Works effectively as part of a team and maintains as even temperament when faced with day-to-day stressors.
6. Follows all safety, security, and infection control policies and procedures.
7. Presents in a positive manner and develops teamwork practicing the policies and procedures of the organization.
8. Provides compassionate, quality care, individualized services, and anticipates Edgewood’s customers unexpressed needs.
9. During emergencies or natural disasters, may be required to report for duty as assigned for the duration of the disaster.
10. Attends all in-service training and education sessions as assigned.
11. Abides by the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) at all times.
12. Performs other work duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Resident Care Director.